Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Secret Italian Bolognese Recipe - the best ever!!

I recently found this package on my front door from my 85 year old Italian neighbour (all but the wine!). Every year, she gathers her family around for a passata day making fresh tomato sauce for all types of cooking. I love the tradition of storing this flavoursome sauce in a longneck. It reminds me of the days when my Nonna was alive and this is how pasta sauce was kept in storage.

Of course, I had to cook immediately on delivery and decided to cook my 4 hour bolognese sauce, which is a traditional recipe from my Aunty in Arten, Italy. Aunty Maria Monica taught me how to make authentic bolognese sauce from her kitchen in the small village where my mother was born. I had never tasted anything like it and just had to have the recipe, even in broken italian/english!

The secret recipe:

What you will need:
300g Pork Mince
300g Veal Mince
300g Beef Mince
A cup of stock
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 jar of passatta
1 garlic, crushed

What to do:
1. Place a large frypan on medium heat on your cook top. Add a dash of olive oil to cover base. Toss in your garlic and three types of mince and cook until brown. Add 1 cup of stock, the tomato paste and the passatta
2. Bring the boil. Then simmer on low heat and cook for 4 hours. The smell will drive you insane and tempt you to eat it beforehand, but it's worth the wait
3. Once cooked, season with salt and pepper. Serve with healthy spelt or whole-wheat pasta. Sprinkle with parmesean and pour yourself a glass of red. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. had to cook immediately on delivery and decided to cook my 4 hour bolognese sauce, which is a traditional recipe from my Aunty in Arten, Italy.

    Adventure tours Morocco

    ReplyDelete